Thursday, October 20, 2011

Pizza Muffins (9-17-11)

Oh yes! You read that right! PIZZA MUFFINS!!!  As I've mentioned before, I've become quite addicted to a site called Pinterest.com.  It can be very inspirational, and I decided that I was going to stop browsing and put a few things into action!!  These are really easy to make and can easily be done with children!!  The original post can be found here.

First, get the ingredients together...
~ Cooking spray
~ 1 Tube of refrigerator biscuits (like the original poster, I used Reduced Fat Grands. You won't want to use a "Flaky Layer" type biscuit)
~ Pizza Sauce (I used a squeeze bottle...less waste and easy to manipulate)
~ Mozzarella cheese (I used sliced)
~ Pepperoni slices (or whatever you want for a topping, but keep in mind that you don't have a ton of room!)


Preheat the oven to 375 and coat the muffin tray with your spray.


Undo the biscuits (be careful... I don't care if they fixed it so it doesn't pop on it's own... When I poked it open and it popped, it still startled me! LOL).  Cut each biscuit in half (suggestion - go the long ways - from side to side...not from top to bottom.  Then, it is already in a round shape...or...at least... it should be. May help to not use a chopping knife for it as well. That tends to eliminate the round shape. *cough* Oops! LOL).


Now, pull the biscuit half into a large circle.  I found it to be easiest to turn it on the side so I could pull straight down.  Work with gravity.  It will save on the frustration.


Now, you are going to start making the biscuits.
1 - Line the muffin cup with your pulled dough circle.  It is best if you have enough that it can drape over the edge/onto the top of the tray... Otherwise, you are fighting gravity again if you don't work fast enough... the dough will slide right down!
2 - Pour a little bit of sauce in.  Just enough to fill the bottom about 1/4-1/2 inch.
3 - Sprinkle in some cheese!!
4 - Put your topping in.
5 - Sprinkle just a bit more cheese for good measure.
6 - You'll have a beautiful tray of pizza muffins!  Note that there are only 8 biscuits in a tube.  So for some, instead of having biscuit halves to waste, I just put an entire biscuit in the muffin cup.  Makes it a bit more cramped, but still do-able.


Bake for 15 minutes until golden brown.  You'll want to let them cool a bit (I can't be held responsible for others burning their mouths... I don't even like taking responsibility when I do it to myself! LOL), but this definitely isn't a "freeze-until-later" type of meal.

1 - Done in the pan!
2 - They pop right out!!
3 - BEA-U-TI-FUL bottom!!!  Nothing burned!  SCORE!!!!
4 - Yummy inside!!  (But be careful... The sauce at the bottom tends to like to spurt out at you. Not that my hubby and I would know! *cough* LOL)


Update: On 10/9, I used a large muffin tin (like this one: Baker's Secret Basics Nonstick 6-Cup Texas Muffin Pan) and put an entire biscuit in each cup.  I think I'll do it this way in the future.  It made it seem a bit less "bite-size" and more of a nice snack.

1 - Nice in the pan!
2 - Still turned out fantastic on the crust! YAY!
3 - And still super yummy on the inside!!


I definitely will not be losing this recipe!!! HIGHLY recommend for a movie day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment