Saturday, August 6, 2011

3rd Wedding Anniversary

My hubby and I were married on February 1, 2006. It was a small wedding with a delicious cake with pineapple and strawberry fillings.

We didn't keep the cake til the 1 year anniversary...more like 1 week (Really - how many of you that froze your cake for a year, enjoyed the taste of it?)...

So come our 1st anniversary, I went out and bought a small cake from the same place with the same fillings... I believe I actually did that for year 2 as well... But it was getting expensive and we didn't like what they put on the side of the cake as decoration when you got these smaller pieces... So I decided to try making pineapple and strawberry flavored items.

Just before our 3rd anniversary, I found this picture and recipe in a magazine:



EASY PEASY!!!! Take some pound cake, cut it in cubes, make the canned flavored frosting a bit runny, dip the cake, put it on some wax paper, and sprinkle with jimmies. So, I made my strawberry frosting and since I couldn't find pineapple flavoring, we had banana...



*Facepalm* So you remember how I said I don't always read directions carefully? This would be one of those times.

I did the strawberry ones first. Despite me following the directions of how to heat the frosting, I apparently didn't make the frosting very runny, so at the end, it was getting a bit rough. The banana ones, I felt I had learned from the first batch and I made the frosting more runny. As you can see, it's a bit better of a coat job. Then, I topped both off with heart-shaped jimmies (if there's one good thing about having a wedding anniversary so close to Valentine's Day, it's to have a ton of heart-shaped stuff!).

Issues I encountered:
#1, I re-read the directions when typing it out for a friend (venting about how they didn't turn out right even though I "did what the directions told me")... Found out I should have frozen the pound cake - that would have helped with cutting it so that the pieces wouldn't be falling off in the frosting.

#2, While I re-read the directions, I was supposed to use some sort of gel in the frosting. Still not sure about that one, but I guess it would have made it smoother. Maybe they were talking like Wilton Gel Icing Colors...

In any case, since then, I have yet to attempt that again. I've done other strawberry-pineapple experiments like Jell-O (safe, but not as fun) and cupcakes... I think our anniversary cake for our 6-year anniversary will be a bit more creative... I hope! LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment